Thursday, March 31, 2016

The Endless Return

The Gardener 

 
by Rabindranath Tagore
 
 
An unbelieving smile flits on your eyes when I come to you to
take my leave. 


I have done it so often that you think I will soon return.
To tell you the truth I have the same doubt in my mind.
For the spring days come again time after time; the full moon
takes leave and comes on another visit, the flowers come again
and blush upon their branches year after year, and it is likely
that I take my leave only to come to you again. 


But keep the illusion awhile; do not send it away with ungentle
haste.


When I say I leave you for all time, accept it as true, and let a
mist of tears for one moment deepen the dark rim of your eyes.
Then smile as archly as you like when I come again.

No comments:

Post a Comment